My toughest critics

My toughest critics

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Kielbasa Kale and Potato Soup

 Princess is the best helper!
Tastes as good as it looks!  Wonderful spicy smoky flavor!
 
So we have a lot of Kale in our organic garden.  It is the gift that keeps giving.  It is hardy and really provides us with a ton of kale throughout the season.  We have made kale chips and kale salads.  I was so happy to find this soup.  It was most excellent and perfect for fall.
 
1 onion minced
4 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 tablespoon chili powder
1.5 teaspoons fresh minced oregano or .5 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chile in adobo
6 cups chicken broth
1 pound aprox. 3 red potatoes scrubbed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
8 ounces kielbasa sausage halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
8 ounces of kale stemmed and torn into small pieces
salt and pepper to taste
grated parmesan cheese
 
microwave onion, garlic, oil, chili powder, oregano and chipotle in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes, transfer to slow cooker.
 
stir broth, potatoes and kielbasa into slow cooker. cover and cook on low 6 hours or until potatoes are soft.
 
stir in kale, cover and cook on high for 20 minutes.  season with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.  Enjoy!
 
 


 
 
 


5 comments:

  1. Muriel is there a substitute for chipotle chile in adobo? What about chipotle chile powder? If so what ratio would you use? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure. The chipotle is just to give it a kick, I would think the powder would work. Not sure how much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up using the chipotle chile in adobo. But I may try the powder another time to see how that works too! Thanks Muriel for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this recipe on Pinterest. I was DELICIOUS! It had lots of flavor and was really easy to make. My kind of meal. :) Thanks so much. I'll be trying out more of your recipes this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stool that your adorable little helper is standing on caught my eye. Are you able to share where you found it? Or is it an antique?

    ReplyDelete