My toughest critics

My toughest critics

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Apple Cobbler

Well it is apple time again!  I am so excited.  The season came a little early this year which is fine by me.  I went to the orchard and got a a few pecks of apples (Zestars and Macs) and immediately went to town.  I canned a ton of apple sauce (the recipe is on this blog) and apple pie filling.  Today I made an apple cobbler which was fantastic.  I got the recipe from 365 days of slow cooking and tweeked it a little.  It was easy and the Little man, Princess and the Captain all enjoyed it.  Enjoy!

2 lbs cooking apples (usually a tart variety), peeled and sliced (about 6 med apples)
2/3 c old-fashioned oats
2/3 c flour
2/3 c packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
**I added 1/4 cup of dried cranberries (this adds a pop of tart flavor)
**I added 1/2 tsp of fresh lemon juice.



1. Add sliced apples to slow cooker. Mix with lemon juice and dried cranberries.
2. Combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg in medium mixing bowl. Cut in softened butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over apples.
3. Cover slow cooker with paper towels (2 or 3 thick). Place lid firmly over paper towels (towels will absorb some of the condensation). Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours, until apples are soft.  Serve with ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment