My toughest critics

My toughest critics

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Turkey Chili

This was a really hardy very flavorful chili.  Captain usually hates chili with beans, in fact he likens beans to carnations as just plain "filler".  He actually really enjoyed this chili black beans and all.  It was super easy to throw together and literally took about 15 minutes.  I did not feed this to Little Man and The Princess because it was pretty spicy.  The best part about this chili is it is healthy and full of protein!

1.25 lbs of ground turkey
1 large onion chopped
1 large clove of garlic minced
1.5 cups frozen corn
1 red pepper diced
3 small hot peppers diced (I used pablanos from my garden)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 package of chili seasoning

for toppings: the sky is the limit, oyster crackers, shredded cheese (any kind), sour cream, guac....etc.

cook first three ingredients until turkey is not pink, drain and put into crock.  Stir in the res of the ingredients until well mixed.  This will seem very dry but do not worry, the tomatoes boil down and there is plenty of liquid at the end.  Cook on low 6 hours serve with toppings. 

Recipe from My Recipes, tweeked.

6 comments:

  1. I just found your site thru Pinterest, and my sister and I were just talking about needing crock pot recipes that had normal ingredients AND sounded like something our families would eat. Yours totally fits the bill. I can't wait to try your recipes. But please please please set up your site so your fans (me at least) can sign up to receive each new installment via email. I don't see subscriptions on your site anywhere. If I missed it, please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you drain the can of diced tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just set it on low for only my third crock pot... "adventure." I've had bad luck as it seems mine cooks higher than average. Do you know of different crock pots cooking differently on the "low" setting? I'll be check frequently after about 3 hours just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this last night and it was really good! I think next time I will make it a bit more spicy. Excellent recipe! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was very good. I had to make a few changes only because I did not have exactly as recipe called for. Instead of tomato sauce I used a hot Mexican brand tomato sauce. Instead of a red pepper and 3 small hot peppers I used a can of fire roasted chili peppers. All wonderful additions. The corn was a great touch as it added a coolness to all the spiciness. I served this with white rice. I will make this again.

    ReplyDelete