My toughest critics

My toughest critics

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chicken Gohan Stew


2 large bone in chicken breasts or 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 – 4 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely sliced
6 cups chicken broth
5 ounces frozen green peas, defrosted ( I did not add these)
5 ounces carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
3/4 cup uncooked Japanese rice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
juice of 2 limes
salt and pepper, to taste
scallions, thinly sliced to garnish
shichimi togarashi, to garnish (optional)
1. Cut the chicken breasts in half (or thirds if the breasts are large) so that the pieces are about the same size as chicken thighs. Place the pieces in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, along with the sliced ginger. Pour the chicken broth into the slow cooker. Place the lid on the cooker and cook on a low-heat setting for 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 hours, until the chicken is tender (If you use bone in chicken breasts at this time remove chicken from crock and pull meat off the bones. Put meat back in the crock and discard bones)
.2. Stir in the rice, peas, and carrots and replace the lid. Continue to cook on the low-heat setting for 40 to 50 minutes more until the rice is tender.
3. Shred the chicken using two forks and then return it to the slow cooker. Stir in the soy sauce and lime juice and add salt and pepper as needed. Served garnished with thinly sliced scallions and shichimi togarashi (if desired).
Amazing citrus taste. This soup was really refreshing and the taste was unique and yummy.
From The Fuji Momma...tweeked

2 comments:

  1. This was wonderful! Even my son with Aspergers, who rarely gets excited about anything, LOVED this stew and raved about it! After his first bite, he exclaimed, "Mom, this is amazing!" and he went back for a second helping, which he NEVER does! This is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my new favorite stew/soup! I made this because the ingredients just sounded so good (except I opted out of the peas as well). I was surprised how great it really was. I told my other family members about it and that they had to come try it, but my husband and I ate it before they could get any! So this time I am going to make double. I think I will also add mushrooms. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete