My toughest critics

My toughest critics

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Orange Chicken

I make the recipe all the time in the oven. I thought why not try it in the crock??? It was amazing. A family favorite. So easy and it looks like it was a lot more work when it is done. I serve this when I have friends over or just for my family. It can be eaten over rice or egg noodles and served warm or it even tastes great cold as leftovers.

Captain, Princess and Little Man always ask for orange chicken and eat every bite!

This is ALL you need:
Boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used three) cut up into aprox. 4 pieces per breast.
1/2 jar of jam. I use orange marmalade but have used apricot preserves before too.
1 package of onion soup mix
1/2 bottle of Russian salad dressing

place a little dressing on the bottom of the crock. Add chicken pieces. Put a spoon full of jam on each piece of chicken. Sprinkle onion soup mix on top. Pour the remaining dressing over the top. Cook on low aprox. 3 hours. Pull chicken into little pieces if desired. Serve gravy and chicken mix over egg noodles. YUMMY IN THE TUMMY!

14 comments:

  1. this sounds very different, lol..going to give it try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do mean the Catalina Style dressing - Kraft. Not the thousand island dressings. Big difference. You can also make this with canned cranberry sauce, but mix 1 can of the cranberry sauce with 1/2 bottle of French dressing and 1 pkg onion soup mix then pour over the chicken My favorite. I did try it with the apricot jam recently, it was okay but a little too sweet for me. The cranberry is sweet but not overpowering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I meant Russian. I use Russian dressing...pretty close to Catalina.

      Delete
    2. I found Russian dressing by Wish-bone

      Delete
  3. It's in the crock pot now! I doubled it, and just kind of did two layers of how you said to do it. (There are 7 of us here.) Can't wait to try it! :) My husband is just excited *I* am cooking some thing at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was so good! We loved it! I ended up adding another pack of onion soup mix at the end, as the orange jelly was a little too strong, and that cut it just perfect. Instead of egg noodles we had it with the really skinny Asian noodles, we just had to boil them a few minutes. They come in like the nests all wound together? They were really good with this. We will definitely make this recipe again and probably use it as inspiration for other Asian chicken dishes.

      Delete
    2. I am so glad! We love it too!

      Delete
  4. I am making this for dinner tonight and I am so excited! So glad I found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to try this but the timing doesn't work for me..... when you do it in the oven, what are the temp and time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 350 for 30 minutes uncovered. You may need to do it longer f your pieces are bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my chicken breasts are still frozen, what do you suggest for a cooking time in the slow cooker ?

    ReplyDelete