My toughest critics

My toughest critics

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Chicken and dumplings


I have two simple goals with my crock pot cooking:
1. make healthy home cooked meals that my kids and hubby love
2. become a cabinet cooker. What does this mean? I have always longed to be able to go into my cabinets and freezer/fridge and throw a meal together with what I have...not really following a recipe. A big goal, I know, but I am getting there. I love tweeking recipes and making them my own.

Chicken and dumplings
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used thin cut organic...they were on sale and in my freezer)

2 cans "cream of something" soup (I used cream of chicken cause I had it but mushroom, celery would work too...low sodium if possible)

2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water with chicken flavored granules or bullion cubes

salt and pepper to taste

veggies (frozen or not really whatever you have. I used one cup of frozen corn, 1 cup of chopped carrots, 2 cut up salary sticks)

1 yellow onion chopped

5 dinner biscuits (I used frozen dinner rolls, you could use Pillsbury refrigerator rolls or any thing like that) Make sure they are room temp.

Place the chicken breasts (thawed) in the bottom of the crock. add salt and pepper. Pour cream soup and broth on top. Add veggies and stir all the items together in the crock. cook on low for 6 hours. pull apart chicken with a fork...the meat should just spread apart. Quarter each biscuit and drop the biscuit pieces on the top and mix lightly with the chicken mixture. Cook for 1.5 more hours until the biscuits are cooked all the way through. Enjoy!

ideas of things to add (broccoli, peas, cooked bacon pieces, potato)
Crock Pot Girls...tweeked.

1 comment: