My toughest critics

My toughest critics

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

BBQ Baby Back Ribs

I had to bump this post to the top of the blog. These ribs are just THAT good. I love trying s new crock pot recipe every week but the hard part is I do not get to go back to the ones I like as often as I want to. I am about half way through my year long experiment and I know at the end I will have many yummy recipes to enjoy and go back to but the ribs are hands down by far the best. They are a common request in my household, extended family and amongst friends. They are tender and fall right off the bone...the flavor is off the chain! This dish is definitely a "Marriage maker" and a party favorite. I have made them 8 times in the past six months and everyone has loved them. Erin, one of my besties from Cincy (home of some amazing ribs) gave them two thumbs up!




2 slabs pork baby back ribs (cut into 4 rib pieces)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons liquid smoke
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
1 can coke
1 bottle barbecue sauce ( I used Sweet Baby Rays)

Spray inside of 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
Remove inner skin from ribs. Mix brown sugar, salt, pepper, liquid smoke and garlic; rub mixture into ribs. Cut ribs into 4-inch pieces. Layer ribs and onion in slow cooker (see pic). Pour cola over ribs.
3 Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 7 hours or until tender. Remove ribs from slow cooker. Drain and discard liquid.
Place ribs on grill. Brush with barbecue sauce. Cover and grill on medium heat 15 minutes.

These were so good.
Good Old Betty Crocker (tweeked)

5 comments:

  1. I tried the ribs on Sunday, AMAZING! I used a BBQ seasoning instead of the liquid smoke, everything else the same and they were great. I broiled them on low for about 7 min a side (to cold for the grill)and that was perfect. Can't wait to try the Orange Chicken :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this last friday and they came out great. I broiled them on low for 7 mins too b/c our grill is broken right now. But My family loved these

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this today, kids loved it!! Prep work last night made this so easy, will definately be making this often!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE these! Made them a couple weeks ago and my whole family gobbled them up! Hubby said they were the best he's ever had - including out to eat food :) I couldn't find the liquid smoke so I did the BBQ seasoning (from the comment above).

    THANKS a million! Can't wait to make them again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have to broil or grill them to finish them off? They cook through in the crockpot right?

    ReplyDelete