My toughest critics

My toughest critics

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

STUFFED Peppers


DISCLAIMER: I do not pretend to be a food photographer and this picture does not do justice to how pretty they actually looked and they smelled divine.


This is how Captain's plate looked when he was done! This should be taken with a grain of salt as my husband eats a total of two veggies and peppers do not make the cut.


Stuffed Peppers
4 large green peppers
1 pound ground meat (I used 1/2 spicey Italian Sausage and 1/2 ground beef)
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I used brown rice but a pilaf or long grain would be fabu)
1 small yellow onion chopped
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tbs Italian seasoning (you can use any type of seasoning you enjoy)
1 jar pasta sauce

Cut open the tops of the peppers. Remove insides. Make a large enough hole in the top to be able to properly stuff. Partially brown meat and add garlic and seasoning Drain grease. In a seperate bowl mix onion, beef mixture and cooked rice. Stuff peppers and place in crock. Pour jar of sauce over the top. cook on low for 4-5 hours or until peppers are tender.

I put this together the night before and threw it in the fridge which was not an issue at all.

I loved this, it was warm and filling and had great flavor. Make sure you put plenty of flavor in the seasoning of the meat and pick a flavorful rice or pasta sauce. The kids did not clamor for this but the adults in the house thought it rocked. The best part is I had everything in the house but the peppers so it was super economical.

2 comments:

  1. I too will be dining with the captain this evening..Captain Morgan that is. But seriously these look great and they look like they would ship well. I'll message you my address..lol. XOXO Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm. Love stuffed peppers. I also eat the insides and leave the peppers - but the peppers do add something to it so I still stuff them. LOL

    ReplyDelete